Arrival in Frontier Town, St. Charles
September 7 to October 3, 1818
Overarching Essential Questions:
What do you know about St. Rose Philippine Duchesne and her quest to fulfill her life dream, compelling her to travel from France to the Missouri frontier?
- How long are you willing to wait for your dream to come true?
- Is it worth facing obstacles to pursue your dream?
- How can obstacles become opportunities/building blocks in your life?
- Philippine faithfully follows God’s plan for her mission, despite temptations and incredible adversity. We invite you to celebrate Philippine’s arrival in St. Charles which marks the END of her long journey and the BEGINNING of her missionary dream job!
- Research the historical roots of St. Charles, Missouri, where Philippine will make her home and found the Academy of the Sacred Heart, the first free school west of the Mississippi River.
- Philippine plants the “seed” of desire for education west of the Mississippi River. Explore how she starts a school just ONE WEEK after arriving in St. Charles, and how her zeal for education influences the Missouri frontier.
The resources below are designed to help students immerse themselves in Philippine's journey to America. Pick and choose from the activities listed in suggested order.
|TEACHER INSTRUCTIONS||STUDENT DOCUMENTS & ACTIVITIES|
Academy of the Sacred Heart and Duchesne High School retain the copyright to all lesson plans and curricular materials (collectively, "Curricular Materials") provided herein. For any commercial use of the Curricular Materials or reproduction of the Curricular Materials in a book or web page, you must request permission from the Academy of the Sacred Heart and Duchesne High School.
No permission is required for educational use of the Curricular Materials so long as the Curricular Materials are not modified or altered in any way and attribution for such Curricular Materials is provided to the Academy of the Sacred Heart and Duchesne High School.