Duchesne highly recommends prospective students and parents join us for
"Welcome Wednesday" shadow visit days on campus. These offer a more structured shadow visit experience and will be held on each Wednesday beginning Sept. 20 and ending Nov. 15, 2017.
Wednesdays at DHS are a late start; therefore, school does not begin until 9:15 a.m. Prospective students and parents will have the opportunity to come to the DHS Library at 8:45 a.m. for refreshments and a brief presentation from a few of Duchesne's Student Ambassadors, who will then stay for any questions your son or daughter may have in a casual and open setting.
Parents can then take a brief tour of the campus with Karen (Netsch) Timmons '86, our Director of Admissions and Marketing, while their student goes with their DHS Student Ambassador for the school day.
To schedule your son or daughter for a "Welcome Wednesday" shadow visit day, simply fill out the shadow visit request form and check the box to reserve your spot on the Wednesday of your choice.
Space is limited each Wednesday to the first 10 students, so reserve your spot today!
Shadow visits are the best way for a student to get a personal perspective of Duchesne's exceptional education experience. Typically, eighth graders shadow in the fall and seventh graders shadow in the spring. Here's how it works:
- Please make a shadow appointment at least five days in advance by completing the Shadow Request Form or contacting Karen (Netsch) Timmons '86, Director of Admissions and Marketing, at (636) 946-2603 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (Some dates are not available for shadow visits.)
- Be sure to schedule your appointment early, as the number of visitors we can accommodate per day is limited.
- On the day of your visit, you should arrive at the DHS main office between 7:30 and 7:45 a.m. (unless Wednesday is the day requested, as all Wednesdays are a late start of 9:15 a.m. due to faculty professional development). The main office is located in the main building, just inside the lobby. From there, you will be directed to the conference room where you will be greeted by your DHS Student Ambassador. Visitors may park along the driveway.
- You will receive a complimentary lunch pass, so no need to pack a lunch.
- Visits last the entire school day (unless special arrangements have been made); your student ambassador will walk you back to the conference room for pick up at 2:50 p.m.
Frequently asked questions:
- Who will show me around? Our Student Ambassadors must meet certain criteria and go through a rigorous selection and training process. Traditionally, sophomores host shadow visitors in the fall; freshmen are eligible to apply for student ambassador positions in the spring.
- How are we matched up? You will be matched based on academic interests or co-curricular activities, to the best of our abilities.
- What do I wear? On regular school days, students who visit from Catholic grade schools may wear their uniforms. Students visiting from public or non-uniform schools may wear any plain slacks (no jeans) and any plain shirt with a collar (no midriff-baring or halter tops); tennis shoes are acceptable (no flip-flops). You will be advised if our students are following the summer uniform or if a special dress-down day is scheduled.
- What should I bring? A notepad and pen will allow you to jot down any points you want to remember; a paperback book, in case your ambassador has a quiz; no electronic devices are allowed, such as iPods, MP3 players, cell phones, hand-held games, etc.