Pioneer Philippine Lands in St. Louis
August 22 to September 1, 1818
Overarching Essential Questions:
- What do you know about St. Rose Philippine Duchesne and her quest to fulfill her life dream, compelling her to travel from France to the Missouri frontier?
- How long are you willing to wait for your dream to come true?
- Is it worth facing obstacles to pursue your dream?
- How can obstacles become opportunities/building blocks in your life?
Topical Statements & Questions:
- Philippine is so close yet so far—she is nearing her final destination, but only stays in the frontier city of St. Louis for three weeks. What do you think her first impressions were of the region?
- Have you ever gone on a journey that took AN ENTIRE YEAR? Remember that Philippine was 48 when she received word she would embark on her life's dream. A year later, she is almost to her destination—celebrating her 49th birthday in St. Louis. She has been traveling a LONG time and is weary. How do the attributes of courage and obedience give her strength to continue her mission?
Click here for common resources.
The resources below are designed to help students immerse themselves in Philippine's journey to America. Pick and choose from the activities listed in suggested order.
|TEACHER INSTRUCTIONS||STUDENT DOCUMENTS & ACTIVITIES|
|Lesson 6 Prayer by Saint Rose Philippine Duchesne.pdf|
|Instructions for Obedience and Courage-Good, Bad & Ugly.pdf|
|Instructions for 6-12 Oldest Known Picture of St. Louis.pdf||
Chapter 37: Saint Louis Grows into a Midwest City
Academy of the Sacred Heart and Duchesne High School retain the copyright to all lesson plans and curricular materials (collectively, "Curricular Materials") provided herein. For any commercial use of the Curricular Materials or reproduction of the Curricular Materials in a book or web page, you must request permission from the Academy of the Sacred Heart and Duchesne High School.
No permission is required for educational use of the Curricular Materials so long as the Curricular Materials are not modified or altered in any way and attribution for such Curricular Materials is provided to the Academy of the Sacred Heart and Duchesne High School.