TRAVELING THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER
July 12 to August 21, 1818
Overarching Essential Questions:
What do you know about St. Rose Philippine Duchesne and her quest to fulfill her life dream, compelling her to travel from France to the Missouri frontier?
- How long are you willing to wait for your dream to come true?
- Is it worth facing obstacles to pursue your dream?
- How can obstacles become opportunities/building blocks in your life?
- Students will gain insight into Philippine's journey on the Franklin traveling up the Mississippi River; how she copes with the dangers of steamboat travel as well as visualizing her anticipation and wonder as she views the completely new home landscape for the first time.
- Research the dangers of steamboat travel and the history of steamboat usage on the Mississippi River, creating a narrative of the importance of steamboat travel on America's history.
The resources below are designed to help students immerse themselves in Philippine's preparations for her journey to America. Pick and choose from the activities listed in suggested order.
|TEACHER INSTRUCTIONS||STUDENT DOCUMENTS & ACTIVITIES|
Academy of the Sacred Heart and Duchesne High School retain the copyright to all lesson plans and curricular materials (collectively, "Curricular Materials") provided herein. For any commercial use of the Curricular Materials or reproduction of the Curricular Materials in a book or web page, you must request permission from the Academy of the Sacred Heart and Duchesne High School.
No permission is required for educational use of the Curricular Materials so long as the Curricular Materials are not modified or altered in any way and attribution for such Curricular Materials is provided to the Academy of the Sacred Heart and Duchesne High School.