OCEAN TRAVEL TO THE NEW WORLD
Lesson 3: OCEAN TRAVEL TO THE NEW WORLD
Overarching Essential Questions:
- What do you know about St. Rose Philippine Duchesne and her quest to fulfill her life dream, compelling her to travel from France to the Missouri frontier?
- How long are you willing to wait for your dream to come true?
- Is it worth facing obstacles to pursue your dream?
- How can obstacles become opportunities/building blocks in your life?
- Students gain an appreciation and empathy for the brutal hardships Philippine and her travelling companions endured for over two months on the transatlantic voyage aboard the Rebecca.
- Students use historic maps to trace the route and timeline of Philippine from Bordeaux, France to the first sight of land near Cuba and ultimately New Orleans.
- Students investigate historical and modern wind-powered vessels, navigation, speed and efficiency and nautical orienteering.
- Relate the recent solar eclipse (August 21, 2017) to the partial lunar eclipse Philippine and the crew experienced on their voyage, modeling differences and similarities.
Click here for common resources.
The resources below are designed to help students immerse themselves in Philippine's transatlantic journey to America. Pick and choose from the activities listed in suggested order.
Academy of the Sacred Heart and Duchesne High School retain the copyright to all lesson plans and curricular materials (collectively, "Curricular Materials") provided herein. For any commercial use of the Curricular Materials or reproduction of the Curricular Materials in a book or web page, you must request permission from the Academy of the Sacred Heart and Duchesne High School.
No permission is required for educational use of the Curricular Materials so long as the Curricular Materials are not modified or altered in any way and attribution for such Curricular Materials is provided to the Academy of the Sacred Heart and Duchesne High School.