Lesson 2: Grades 6-8
Lesson 2: PREPPING, PACKING & PANHANDLING
Overarching Essential Questions:
What do you know about St. Rose Philippine Duchesne and her quest to fulfill her life dream, compelling her to travel from France to the Missouri frontier?
- How long are you willing to wait for your dream to come true?
- Is it worth facing obstacles to pursue your dream?
- How can obstacles become opportunities/building blocks in your life?
- Evaluate your personal possessions: What items do you consider essential for your physical and emotional well-being?
- Panhandling for funds was vital to the success of Philippine’s mission. Research the value of money 200 years ago compared to today, as well as predictions for the future. How does Philippine’s example show us how God calls us to use our money wisely and with faith?
- All long-term journeys (commitments) bring excitement and joy, as well as trepidation and loss. How can we follow Philippine’s example to process both personal joy and loss in our lives?
Click here for common resources.
The resources below are designed to help students immerse themselves in Philippine's preparations for her journey to America. Pick and choose from the activities listed in suggested order.
Academy of the Sacred Heart and Duchesne High School retain the copyright to all lesson plans and curricular materials (collectively, "Curricular Materials") provided herein. For any commercial use of the Curricular Materials or reproduction of the Curricular Materials in a book or web page, you must request permission from the Academy of the Sacred Heart and Duchesne High School.
No permission is required for educational use of the Curricular Materials so long as the Curricular Materials are not modified or altered in any way and attribution for such Curricular Materials is provided to the Academy of the Sacred Heart and Duchesne High School.