Lesson 1: Grades 3-5
Lesson1: PHILIPPINE DUCHESNE: EVERY JOURNEY IS BORN FROM A DREAM
Putting All the Pieces Together to Build Your Dream
- Students obtain a broad overview of St. Rose Philippine Duchesne’s zeal and life dream to become a missionary in America.
- Students gain an appreciation for the hardships Philippine endured as she persevered with unwavering dedication to bring education and Christianity to Native Americans.
- With Philippine’s example, students reflect on the importance of setting their own life goals and evaluating character traits necessary to achieve those personal goals.
Consider (Essential Questions):
- What do you know about St. Rose Philippine Duchesne and her quest to fulfill her life dream, compelling her to travel from France to the Missouri frontier?
- How long are you willing to wait for your dream to come true?
- Is it worth facing obstacles to pursue your dream?
- How can obstacles become opportunities/building blocks in your life?
The resources below are designed for you to introduce Philippine to your students. Pick and choose from the activities listed in suggested order.
Academy of the Sacred Heart and Duchesne High School retain the copyright to all lesson plans and curricular materials (collectively, "Curricular Materials") provided herein. For any commercial use of the Curricular Materials or reproduction of the Curricular Materials in a book or web page, you must request permission from the Academy of the Sacred Heart and Duchesne High School.
No permission is required for educational use of the Curricular Materials so long as the Curricular Materials are not modified or altered in any way and attribution for such Curricular Materials is provided to the Academy of the Sacred Heart and Duchesne High School.